This preview shows page 1. Sign up to view the full content.
Unformatted text preview: , I think of you as part of my team – that’s what a customer said to me yesterday.” • Crack a joke (very risky) • Concluding with a bang
• Bookend with your opening – refer back to what you said at the start
• “I mentioned at the beginning that Quality is remember long after the price is forgotten. If we make sure we’re the best, we’ll always be remembered.” • If there’s something you want them to do, close with a powerful call to action – don’t leave any doubt as to what you want delivery
• You’ll be graded on 3 key aspects of your delivery • Did you deliver with conviction, passion, and enthusiasm?
• “clarity, conviction and grace” • Were you natural, poised and confident?
• Were you authentic?
• Did you practice? • Keys to success:
• Rehearse • Mentally – can’t check timing or practice gestures
• For real – check timing, flow, gestures, pausing, emphasis, etc.
• One doublespaced page of 14pt font is about 2 minutes • Make sure you know the beginning – easier once you get going
• In front of a mirror, video, in front of friends/family Delivery (cont’d)
• Dealing with nerves and anxiety
• “There are two types of speakers; those that are nervous and those that are liars” Mark Twain
• Why do people get nervous?
• Why is it a problem?
• How to fix it?
• Awareness is first step
• Thoughts – Feelings – Action
• Be real
• Know that there is no such things as a perfect presentation
• Relax Connection with the audience
• 4 elements that you will be graded on:
• Did you incorporate the audience’s point of view?
Did you make eye contact?
Did you grab and keep their attention?
Was the audience engaged? • Key things to know about your audience:
• Who are they?
What are their expectations?
What do they know/understand already?
What’s their attitude? Connection with the audience
(cont’d) • Eye contact • “Your message goes where your voice goes, and your voice goes where your eyes send it.’ Francis Xavier Muldoon
• Why is it important?
• How? • Audience engageme...
View Full Document
- Spring '08