This preview shows page 1. Sign up to view the full content.
Unformatted text preview: a prescription Example post harvest Example post harvest losses • Strengths - Sri Lanka possesses strong institutional capacity that can contribute to changes in the current situation - There is increasing governmental interest in the fisheries sector
- Many fishermen cooperatives are well organized and capable to support developments to reduce PHL Example post harvest losses Weaknesses (1) – Little political pressure from fishermen and boat owners
– Lack of infrastructure
– Inferior design of multiday boats and fishery harbours
– Lack of awareness
– Acceptance of low quality fish and low purchasing power of consumers in the domestic market Example Post Harvest Losses Weaknesses (2) – Rapid policy changes due to frequent changes in politically elected authorities within the governmental sector
– Limited knowledge of financial accounting among fishermen
– Tropical weather conditions
– High volume harvests of cultivated fish when seasonal tanks are being emptied
– Excess governmental subsidies to increase fishermen recruitment without them having proper training or fishing equipment Example post harvest losses Opportunities - Possibilities to increas...
View Full Document
- Spring '14