This preview shows page 1. Sign up to view the full content.
Unformatted text preview: essages
small group supp Keys to supportive listening
• Use supportive behaviors as you listen.
• Use confirming behaviors as you listen.
• Use both verbal and nonverbal listening
behaviors. beha Keys to active listening
• Paraphrase what the speaker said.
• Don’t mistake hearing for listening.
• Mentally prepare to listen. that
sed • Clarity behaviors Receiving Messages Effectively
Asking questions, paraphrasing, attending to
main and supporting ideas, acknowledging
and responding; giving appropriate feedback,
and paying attention to the speaker’s total
communication (verbal and nonverbal) akno
one • Confirming behaviors listeni 10. Be supportive.
11. Be consistent with your nonverbal
12. Reinforce with repetition.
13. Make messages appropriate to the
receiver’s frame of reference.
14. Look for feedback that your message
was accurately interpreted. 4 Receiving Messages Effectively Breakdowns in Communication Aware listening
Realize that people react individually or
differently to the way you communicate. Sender failures
Poorly transmitted messages (ambiguity,
inconsistency) Tips for aware listening
•Be alert for barriers and breakdowns in
communication. Receiver failures
Failure to listen carefully (misinterpretation) listening but acknowledge differently. And prepared to be but come back Barriers to Effective Communication spea
senio citize • Receiver not paying attention to the sender
• Lack of trust between the individuals
attempting to communicate
• Socialization and hereditary differences,
causing misinterpretations between the
sender and receiver
• Differences in the mental set or perception
between people Barriers to Effective Communication
• Embarrassment (creates interference)
• Tendency to tell people what th...
View Full Document
- Fall '08