This preview shows page 1. Sign up to view the full content.
Unformatted text preview: ¾ dau hter + radiation ® g · The three different kinds of radiat ions can be dist inguished by their interactions with an electric field.
· aRadiations carry a positive charge and are attracted to the negat ive plate.
· bradiations carry a negative charge and are attracted to the posit ive plate.
· gradiations carry no charge and are attracted to neither plate.
· The three different kinds of radiat ion have different energies and penetration abilit ies.
· aRays have low energy and can be blocked by a thin sheet of paper.
· βRays have moderate energy and can be blocked by a thin sheet of metal.
· γRays have high energy and can only be blocked by a thick sheet of lead. 2 Chemistry 52 Chapter 18 ALPHA & BETA DECAYS
· Alpha decay occurs when a nucleus changes into another nucleus and gives off an a particle, which is a helium nucleus 4 He . ( 2 ) Th ¾¾ 228 Ra + 4 He
® 88 2 232
90 · Note that the sum of the atomic numbers and the mass numbers on the left and the right side of the equation are equal.
· Loss of alpha particle from the nucleus results in loss of 4 in ma...
View Full Document