Unformatted text preview: + H 2 O (l) ¾¾ NH + (aq) + OH (aq)
4 1 Chemistry 52 Chapter 15 ACID & BASE STRENGTH
· According to the Arrhenius definit io n, the strength of acids and bases is based on the amount of their ionization in water.
· Strong acids and bases are those that ionize completely in water.
· Strong acids and bases are strong electrolytes. HCl (aq) ¾¾ H + (aq) + Cl (aq) ® NaOH (s) ¾H2 O¾ Na + (aq) + OH (aq)
· Weak acids and bases are those that ionize partially in water.
· Weak acids and bases are weak electrolytes. 2 ¾ ¾®
HC 2 H 3O 2 ¬¾ ¾ H + (aq) + C 2 H 3O 2 (aq) ¾ H O ¾¾
NH 3 (aq) + H 2 O (l) ¬¾ NH + (aq) + OH (aq) ¾
4 COMMON STRONG ACIDS & BASES HCl HBr HI HNO3 H2SO4 Hydrochloric acid Hydrobromic acid Hydro iodic acid Nitric acid Sulfuric acid LiOH NaOH KOH Ba(OH)2 Lithium hydroxide Sodium hydr...
View Full Document