Unformatted text preview: avior. We speak of the code matrix
as the set of codes and subcodes functionally related to the communication
• By communication roles, he means roughly the roles an individual might play in
any of the different social situations a person might find him/herself, e.g., as
parent in the home, as player on a football team, or as student speaking in class,
as customer in a store.
• By codes, he refers neutrally either to different languages, or to dialects or styles
within the same language.
• The main idea is that linguistic difference—whether great or small—becomes the
marker of different communication roles within the communication matrix.
3. FOCUS and THE FOCUS CONTINUUM
• Focus is a property of a language, or of a speech community
o Refers to the amount of established common ground that people have for
o Directly related to the formation and maintenance of personal, ethnic, and
• According to Le Page, R. B., and Andrée Tabouret-Keller (Acts of Identity:
Creole-based Approaches to Language and Ethnicity,...
View Full Document
This note was uploaded on 03/22/2014 for the course LIN 306 taught by Professor Shields during the Fall '08 term at University of Texas.
- Fall '08