Lecture 10 - Placebo and Expectancy

G opioid antagonists placebos have side eects nocebo

Info iconThis preview shows page 1. Sign up to view the full content.

View Full Document Right Arrow Icon
This is the end of the preview. Sign up to access the rest of the document.

Unformatted text preview: these rates don t differ sta3s3cally (30% rule) •  A meta ­analysis showed that an3depressants relied on the placebo effect for 75% of their effec3veness •  The remaining 25% real drug effect may be a disguised placebo effect The Placebo Effect (cont) •  •  •  •  Produces real physical differences (UCLA, 2002 study) Blocked by real drugs, e.g., opioid antagonists Placebos have side effects (nocebo) Placebo effects can last for a long 3me: over 8 weeks for panic disorder, 6 months for angina pectoris, and 2.5 years for rheumatoid arthri3s. •  Depressed pa3ents who respond to placebos differ biochemically from those who don t (suscep3bility might be gene3c) –  Short ­term depression (< 3 months) more responsive –  Long ­term depression (> 1year) not responsive Placebo Effect •  If expecta3on of pain can increase pain intensity, –  how might expecta3on of pain reduc3on influence percep3on? • Experimental results –  85% of Ss given placebo for relief of pain caused by Herpes (cold sores or genital sores) reported pain reduc3on –  56% of pa3ents given sham treatment (small skin incision) for angina (heart pain) reported significant pain...
View Full Document

This note was uploaded on 03/21/2014 for the course COGS 174 taught by Professor Pineda during the Winter '11 term at UCSD.

Ask a homework question - tutors are online