{[ promptMessage ]}

Bookmark it

{[ promptMessage ]}

PSY201 9.30.13 To Post

645 shaded region is power opposite shaded region is

Info icon This preview shows page 1. Sign up to view the full content.

View Full Document Right Arrow Icon
This is the end of the preview. Sign up to access the rest of the document.

Unformatted text preview: Z ­score [in the direcDon you care about!] a)  That percentage = power Power = 59.87% 0.58 0.74 0.9 1.06 1.22 .94 Shaded region is power Opposite shaded region is beta β Z = 0.25, Raw = 0.94 4.  Using the normal curve table, determine the probability (percentage) of geeng a score more extreme than that Z ­score [in the direcDon you care about!] a)  That percentage = power Power = 59.87% b)  Beta is the opposite of power (β = 100%  ­ Power) β = 100%  ­ 59.87% = 40.13% 0.58 0.74 0.9 1.06 1.22 .94 Shaded region is power Opposite shaded region is beta β Z = 0.25, Raw = 0.94 So what does this mean?? Power = 59.87% β = 40.13% Power is the probability that a study will produce a staDsDcally significant result if the research hypothesis is true. Our study design has about a 60% chance of finding a significant result. Beta is the probability that we will fail to reject the null hypothesis, when in reality the null hypothesis is false. Our study design has about a 40% chance of making a Type II error. 13 9/29/13 0.58 0.74 0.9 1.06 1.22 .94 Shaded region is power Opposite shaded region is beta β Z = 0.25, Raw = 0.94 Shaded region is alpha 0.88 1.04 1.2 1.36 1.52 Z =  ­1.645, Raw = 0.94 Power is influenced by: 1.  Effect size 2.  PopulaDon standard deviaDon 3.  Sample size 4.  Significance level 5.  One ­ vs. Two ­tailed tests 1. Effect size   The greater the predicted mean difference, the more power you have.   This is due to less overlap between the distribuDons (so easier to find an effect) 14 9/29/13...
View Full Document

{[ snackBarMessage ]}

What students are saying

  • Left Quote Icon

    As a current student on this bumpy collegiate pathway, I stumbled upon Course Hero, where I can find study resources for nearly all my courses, get online help from tutors 24/7, and even share my old projects, papers, and lecture notes with other students.

    Student Picture

    Kiran Temple University Fox School of Business ‘17, Course Hero Intern

  • Left Quote Icon

    I cannot even describe how much Course Hero helped me this summer. It’s truly become something I can always rely on and help me. In the end, I was not only able to survive summer classes, but I was able to thrive thanks to Course Hero.

    Student Picture

    Dana University of Pennsylvania ‘17, Course Hero Intern

  • Left Quote Icon

    The ability to access any university’s resources through Course Hero proved invaluable in my case. I was behind on Tulane coursework and actually used UCLA’s materials to help me move forward and get everything together on time.

    Student Picture

    Jill Tulane University ‘16, Course Hero Intern