Unformatted text preview: ver ends! (and that’s a good thing!) Lab today
In groups (same as last week)
" What was your generalization from last week?
Termites • Culture tubes • Ballpoint pens (diﬀerent colors) • White paper • Diﬀerent colored paper • Diﬀerent types of markers/pens • Toothpicks • Ethanol Copepods • Culture tubes • Red/blue/green acetate ﬁlters Isopods • Reﬂector lamps • Culture tubes • Flashlights • Petri dishes • Lamps of diﬀerent Clear and black with and waSage for reﬂectors without gaps • Drierite • Nylon screen • Reﬂectors • Paper towels • Water spray boSles Before you start experiments…
Show me the following:
• Hypothesis – null and alternative
– • Predictions if you have any Experimental Design
– 30 mins What variable are you going to manipulate?
What is the treatment?
How are you going to measure the effect?
• Time - units? • Number of individuals? –
– • Criteria for determining difference btw control and treatment?
How many replicates? Make a Table for data collection " Run experiments
" Data collection Up to one hour " Data Analysis
" Graphs vs. table
" Statistics 30 mins " Which hypothesis do your results support?
" Conclusions • Oral reports - 8 minutes each group
– Write relevant data/graphs/tables on your section on
– Which hypothesis do your results support?
• Show your statistics
• Conclusions • Everybody in the group must participate in the presentation
• Get a GROUP GRADE!!! Total one hour Next week:
• Quiz #2– Hypotheses, experimental design, graphing, data analysis, question or 2 from upcoming lab to make
sure you are prepared
• Read Chapter 2 Lab Manual – What is Life (pg. 9 – 12)
• Go over links on Moodle What is Life Links file
– Phoenix Mars Lander file
– Report Worksheet template (our section folder!)
– Microscopy Tutorial
View Full Document
- Spring '07
- Standard Deviation, Mean, Null hypothesis, Descriptive statistics, Statistical significance