Unformatted text preview: ctrons which move faster and to
higher Energy and Evolution
Organisms are able to inhabit an
environment by evolving a
means of utilizing the energy
source(s) available there.
source(s) One or more of these organisms
must capture energy from this
environment. Tubeworm, Riftia
Symbiotic bacterium, Thiovulum Riftia
• Has a unique hemoglobin that takes
H2S from the environment and delivers
it to the symbiotic Thiovulum
• 2H2S + O2 ---> 2So +2 H2O + energy
• How do these worms and other
organisms capture or use this energy?
– Oxidize substrate molecules Oxidize?
• Remove electrons from substrate
(energy yielding) molecule in a reaction
• Organisms use some of the energy in
these ‘excited’ electrons to synthesize
and energy storage molecule...
View Full Document
This document was uploaded on 03/26/2014 for the course BIOLOGY BIO101 at Tulane.
- Fall '09