This preview shows page 1. Sign up to view the full content.
Unformatted text preview: on his breath and note that, in addition to the slurred speech,
his actions are somewhat uncoordinated.
1. Do all drugs used to treat an allergy-induced runny nose make a person
drowsy during the daytime? Explain your answer.
2. What suggestions can you offer Mr. C for coping with the side effects of
3. You suspect that Mr. C likes to drink; what should be your response?
3. Cyclooxygenase Inhibitors:
Nonsteroidal Antiiinflammatory Drugs and
Acetaminophen Cyclooxygenase Inhibitors
– Suppress inflammation- antinflammatory
– Relieve pain- analgesics
– Reduce fever- antipyretic
– Gastric ulceration – esp arthritis patients and
glucocorticoids (take with food)
– Renal impairment (fairly uncommon) Classification of Cyclooxygenase
Drugs with anti-inflammatory properties
– NSAIDs: nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory
Aspirin, celecoxib, ibuprofen, and naproxen
Aspirin, Drugs without anti-inflammatory properties
– Acetaminophen- tylenol
Acetaminophen- First-Generation NSAIDs
Inhibit COX-1 and COX-2
View Full Document
This document was uploaded on 03/25/2014.
- Spring '14