Unformatted text preview: l
(8-chloro-1-methyl-6-phenyl-4H-5-triazobenzodiazepine, alprazolam, Xanax)
3. 52 53
53 Over-the-Counter Drugs
Drugs that can be purchased without a prescription.
Used for a variety of complaints.
Important part of heath care.
Some drugs that were originally sold by
prescription now OTC.
Account for about 60% of all doses
54 Which Name to Use:
Generic or Trade?
The little problems with generic names
– More complicated than trade names
The big problems with trade names
– Single drug can have multiple trade names.
– U.S. drugs and drugs outside the U.S. may
have different active ingredients.
– Products with the same trade name may have
different active ingredients.
Monistat (yeast infection) and Kaopectate (upset
stomach) Case Study
Case Sue, an elderly women who lives on a fixed income,
is on multiple medications. She says that all of
her friends are taking the generic form of their
View Full Document
- Spring '14
- Pharmacology, adverse effects, drug therapy