This preview shows page 1. Sign up to view the full content.
Unformatted text preview: ates labor, but unclear if it can initiate
– Use only in 3rd trimester
– Major contraindications---conditions that require
C-section (head first is the normal positioning)
Concern with a vaginal delivery after a C-section is a
Concern break in the C-section Uterine Stimulants (Oxytocics)
Physiologic and pharmacologic effects
Water retention – Precautions and contraindications
Uterine rupture may occur (too much pressure).
Uterine The baby will die
Women with active genital herpes – Adverse effect – water retention/intoxication
– Most common fetal adverse effect is
bradycardia (the contractions are too much for
baby to handle)
baby Uterine Stimulants (Oxytocics)
Carboprost tromethamine (Hemabate)
– Preferred agent for controlling postpartum
– Causes intense uterine contractions
– Adverse effects
Vomiting and diarrhea
Vasoconstriction in uterus- affects sytemic
Vasoconstriction constriction. Mom’s BP will rise, could result in a
Constriction of the bronchi Uterine Stimulants (Oxytocics)
Uterine Ergot alkaloids: ergonovine and
Ergot methylergonovine---second line drugs for
controlling post partum hemorrhage
– Not used to induce labor (sustained contractions)
– Can cause constriction of arterioles and veins Therapeutic uses Postpartum bleeding (not responsive to oxytocin) Augmentation of labor Migraine – Adverse effects (IV administration) Hypertension---may be severe* Indications for Use of Oxytocin
Pregnancy has gone beyond term.
Early vaginal delivery is likely.
Increased risk of mortality of mother
Increased or infant.
Nursing Implications health history--determine possible drug/drug interaction monitor pulse and blood pressure monitor level of consciousness check intake and output monitor fetal heart rate---an increase in force and
monitor frequency of uterine contractions may cause fetal
distress. monitor fetal presentation do not leave patient unattended if giving IV oxytocin monitor vaginal bleeding monitor lactation status---oxytocin causes milk ejection Cautions for Use of Oxytocin
Over distention of
View Full Document
- Spring '14