This preview shows page 1. Sign up to view the full content.
Unformatted text preview: ty
○ Inversion: deviation from normal word order
■ Strange fits of passion I have known
○ Hysteron Proteron: inversion of the natural order of events
■ Let us die and rush into battle
○ Parallelism: repetition of syntactical units (phrases, clauses, sentences)
■ Easy come, easy go
○ Chiasmus: crosswise arrangement of elements
■ Fair is foul, foul is fair
○ Asyndeton: unusual omission of conjunctions
○ Polysyndeton: use of (unnecessarily) many conjunctions
○ Anacoluthon: syntactical inconsistency or incoherence within a sentence; a shift in an unfinished sentence from one syntactic construction to another
■ You really ought well, do it your way
● Syntax: parts of speech, clause patterns, phrases and their constituents (ex. heads) Does anyone know how we could be tested on this? he mentioned there might be places where we have to define things
○ Five Canonical Clause Structures
I. ordinary intransitive
S II. complexintransitive VC
We felt happy.
III. ordinary monotransitive SVO
We sold our house.
We made them happy.
We gave them some food.
○ Narrative Stance
■ Quoted or Direct Speech ● He laid down his bundle and thought of his misfortune. “And just what pleasure have I found, since I came into this world?” he asked.
■ Reported or Normal Indirect Speech
● He laid down his bundle and thought of his misfortune. He asked himself what pleasure he had found since he came into the world.
■ Free Indirect Speech
● He laid down his bundle and thought of his misfortune. And just what pleasure had he found, since he came into the world?
○ This form is used frequently in Their Eyes and signifies the awareness of self/newfound voice/coming to consciousness
○ her divided voice is “a verbal analogue of her double experiences as a woman in a maledominated world and as a black person in a nonblack world” Afterword
○ The most important roles
■ Agent: doer responsible for an action or event taking place ● I hit the boy
■ Force: doer (without volition) res...
View Full Document
This document was uploaded on 03/27/2014 for the course E 324 at University of Texas at Austin.
- Spring '14