This preview shows page 1. Sign up to view the full content.
Unformatted text preview: le length and angle of
pull, not contracting maximally throughout entire ROM
– Reflective of the weakest point of ROM = Dynamic contractions
! Isokinetic contractions
◦ Maximal contraction of a muscle group at a
throughout entire ROM
◦ Control velocity mechanically ◦ Encounter maximal force throughout ROM
majority of what is discussed in class will be dynamic contractions Dynamic'Muscular'Strength'
• Muscle not contracting maximally throughout ROM
and strength defined by the weakest point in ROM
• Strength defined by: the maximum wt that can be
moved at the weakest point in the ROM
– Example: knee flexors max strength at 160 - 170° vs
at 40° which is 25% of max strength • Therefore, strength assessment measures max
strength at this angle Dynamic'Muscle'Tes4ng''
! Free weights, dumbbells, constant resistance
machines measure strength at weakest point
! Resistance not varied to account for changing
angle of pull of muscle and length of muscle
! Variable-resistance machines (free-mo...
View Full Document
This document was uploaded on 03/28/2014 for the course KIN 405 at Waterloo.
- Fall '12