This preview shows page 1. Sign up to view the full content.
Unformatted text preview: ement at a
• Proceed until goal is reached Stages*of*Exercise*Program*
• Maintain level of fitness achieved at end of
• Should continue long-term progression to
maintain the goals achieved
• Amount needed to maintain is often less
that needed to achieve the improvements
• May be able to substitute other modes to
maintain interest Designing*Cardiorespiratory*
• What are your client’s needs & goals?
• Are they related to:
• Performance / Fitness?
• Will the training be sport-specific?
• A combination of any of these? Where*do*you*start?*
• What is your starting point? What were the results of
the client’s assessment?
• Experience & Current Activities
– Previous experience – details?
– What is the client currently doing? Details.
– Are there injuries or conditions that will determine how
you design a program? DoseHresponse*rela:onship*for*health*
• Relatively small
changes in activity in
sedentary persons produce large
in disease risk.
• Mod intensity (3–6 Mets).
• Functional Physical Activity.
• Key to health benefits is volume. If*the*goals*are*ﬁtness*&*health,*which*
• CSEP Guidelines for Health & Cardiorespiratory fitness
• ACSM Guidelines for Exercise Prescription for CR
(2006) (pg. 94) – updated in 2007 (www.acsm.org) **KNOW THE DIFFERENCES B/W THE TWO** There are key differences between these guidelines. ACSM &CSEP for benefits for health **be aware of left side of chart ACSM*Guidelines* Guidelines <65 yrs & healthy: Guidelines for >65 yrs or chronic
condition: Moderate intensity cardio: 30 min / d,
5 d / wk
• Or, vigorous intensity cardio 20 min /
d, 3 d / wk
• And, 8-10 strength-training exercises
(8-12 reps, 2x / week) Slight increase in strength reps &
• Add balance exercises if at risk of
• Between 55% - 90% of max HR
• Between 40% - 85% of VO2 Reserve (VO2R)
• Individuals with v. low fitness 40 -50% VO2R (VO2max <40 mL/kg/min ! may
start as low as 30% VO2R)
• Minimum 150 – 300 kcal/session increasing to 800 – 2000 kcal/wk !
REMEMBER: 1L of O2 = 5 kcal / min
Frequency: 3-5 days / week (probably most days)
Duration: 20 – 60 min of continuous or intermittent activity (min 10min)
18-64 yrs of age
150 minutes of moderate-vigorous aerobic activity per week in bouts
of 10 minutes or more
resistance training for muscle and bone strength >= 2 times per
week (large muscle groups)
flexibility 4-7 days per week Training*Athletes:**
• Evaluate factors affecting performance, if possible
• Determine which will be important for your client
• Use that information to generate a program
specific for athlete
• Poor exercise economy ! focus o...
View Full Document
- Fall '12