This preview shows page 1. Sign up to view the full content.
Unformatted text preview: sion surface
• Giving a rough shape first and subdivide it
• Stop when the shape is smooth enough
• Used for modeling smooth surfaces Motivation
• Shape modelling
– Topological restrictions of NURBS surfaces
• Plane, Cylinder, and Torus
• It is difficult to maintain smoothness at seams of
– Example: hiding seams in Woody (Toy Story) [DeRose98] – NURBS also require the control nets consist of a
regular rectangular grid of control points • LOD in a scene
– A coarse shape when far away, a smooth dense
surface when closer to the camera Subdivision surface
• Can handle arbitrary topology Different Schemes
• Doo-Sabin ‘78
• Catmull-Clark ‘78
• Etc (Loop, Butterfly, and many others) A Primer: Chaiken’s Algorithm
Q1 1 Q2 Q3 P
Q5 Q0 P P 3
0 Apply Iterated
System Limit Curve Surface http://www.multires.caltech.
edu/teaching/demos/java/chaikin.htm Doo-Sabin Subdivision
• Proposed by Doo and Sabin in 1978
• An extensi...
View Full Document
This document was uploaded on 03/26/2014.
- Spring '14