Unformatted text preview: know exapmples of nuero transmitter!!!!!!!!
Neurotransmitters are chemical
messengers, produced in the soma
and stored in the terminal ends of
axons, that are released when an
action potential reaches the ends of
the axon. e.g., acetylcholine,
dopamine, GABA … sensory--- affterent -- to CNS Functional Classification of Neurons
• Sensory neurons – Detect changes in the environment referred to as stimuli (i.e., light, touch,
pain, etc.) and transmit information to the CNS
– Afferent Information – to the CNS motor--- efferent-- away from CNS • Motor neurons
– Send signals to target tissue (i.e., muscles, glands) in order to elicit a
response to a particular stimulus
– Efferent information – away from the CNS internnuerons--- most abundant-- • Interneurons
– Neither sensory or motor
– Serve an integrative function– interconnect incoming sensory and
outgoing motor information
– ~90% of neurons are interneurons if it ﬁres quick its a sensory neuron and later its motor---thats how
we distinguish classiﬁcations of nuerons….. 100...
View Full Document
This document was uploaded on 03/28/2014 for the course KNES 385 at Maryland.
- Fall '08