This preview shows page 1. Sign up to view the full content.
Unformatted text preview: electrons in an orbital? • PARAMAGNETIC - Maximum of 2 electrons per orbital
- Place them SINGLY FIRST BEFORE PAIRING (Hund’s
- Ex. Place electrons in – Atoms with unpaired electrons
are called paramagnetic .
– Paramagnetic atoms are
attracted to a magnetic field
– (Unpaired electrons have their
spins aligned ↑ or ↓ ) 1s2 o 1s - ___
– Atoms with paired electrons are
– Diamagnetic atoms are repelled
by a magnet.
– (Paired electrons have their spins
– Paired electrons have no net
magnetic field - ↑n value, ↑energy!
- The arrangement of
orbitals is based on
from Hψ = Eψ • Orbitals are arranged by
• Describes how the
periodic chart is a
function of electronic
configurations px py pz o 3d - ___ ___ ___ ___ ___ 3d10 d xy d yz d xz d x2 −y2 d z2 Aufbau Principle and El...
View Full Document