This preview shows page 1. Sign up to view the full content.
Unformatted text preview: ated
at 3.5 trillion lire (~1.6 billion dollars)
Limited Pasta Power!
Italy consumes the most
pasta (17.8 kilos per
person) pasta, which
country consumes the
E. United States Case Problem
Director of Logistics, Giorgio Maggiali
Variation in distributors order patterns
have caused operational inefficiencies
and cost penalties for Barilla
Maggiali has hired your 3 teams to
help Barilla with this problem. Barilla
– Pasta (21 days)
– Bread (1 day) “Dry” products (75% of Sales!)
– Pasta (18-24 months)
– Cookies (10-12 wks)
– 800 different SKUs (470 pasta)
– 200 different shapes and sizes
– Various Packaging options
Ex: Pasta #5 comes in 1kg, 2kg, or 5kg box.
Barilla cannot easily accommodate a change
– Temperature and humidity in kiln are precisely
specified for each shape and size of pasta
– Barilla follows carefully chosen production
sequence to reduce changeover costs and keep
– Each plant specializes in specific Barilla products Distribution
Barilla Central Distribution Centers (...
View Full Document
- Spring '14