Unformatted text preview: unning time for a 40 feet joint of casing is
15 seconds. Substituting gives
Fs peak=5,547WN Copyright(c) 2005 by Ali Ghalambor & Boyun Guo 106 Casing Wear
Casing wear occurs when energy in the drill string is
transferred by motion to the casing. The factors contributing
to casing wear by the action of the drill string are:
1. The relative hardness of the drill string component to the
2. The bearing load exerted by the drill string on the casing.
3. The relative rate of motion between the drill string and
4. The relative roughness and abrasiveness of the drill string
component in contact with the casing.
5. The area of contact between the drill string component
and the casing.
213 Drillstring and Casing Hardness
If the drillstring component exhibits a hardness
greater than the casing, casing wear will result
from any direct energy transfer.
The design requirements for both the drillstring
and casing dictate the characteristics, incl...
View Full Document
- Fall '14