bgs final report_tattoo industry (2007)

Dr tan agrees that although firms are not legally

Info iconThis preview shows page 1. Sign up to view the full content.

View Full Document Right Arrow Icon
This is the end of the preview. Sign up to access the rest of the document.

Unformatted text preview: rspective, there is an unclear division of ethicality. Personal aspect In the eyes of Clarence, businesses should definitely recognize that customers need to know of the health risks37. Dr Tan agrees that although firms are not legally obliged to inform customers, social and moral duties beckon. He explains that the practice makes business sense, because one unhappy customer would easily turn away potential clients, tarnishing the firm’s reputation 38 . However, in favour of firms’ ethicality, Johnny believes that disclosing health risks equates jeopardizing the business 39 . Observably, personal 33 Health Sciences Authority. (2007, August 22). Health Services: Common Reasons for Postponing Your Donation. Retrieved from http://www.hsa.gov.sg/publish/hsaportal/en/health_services /blood_donation/can_i_donate/when_not_to_donate/commo n_reasons.html 34 The National Blood Service. Frequently Asked Questions. Retrieved from http://blood.co.uk/pages/b10faq.html 35 Mayo Foundation for Medical Education and Research (MFMER) Clinic Staff. (2007, August 17). Tattoos and piercings: What to know beforehand. Retrieved from http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/tattoos-andpiercings/MC00020 36 Refer to Annex A 37 Refer to Appendix B2 38 Refer to Appendix B1 39 Refer to Appendix B3 opinions are generally for the idea of disclosing tattooing risks, but with differing viewpoints, the issue is grey, leaning towards unethical. Societal aspect A considerable 51% of those surveyed do not know or are unclear of the health risks associated with tattooing. The remaining 49% possess some basic knowledge at least, notably not from tattoo artists but through self reading – 73% indicated that they found out about the risks of tattooing via individual research, while only 16% relied on tattoo artists for this information40. Such worrying ignorance is supported by society’s call for customers to know the negative side to tattooing, as a dominating 86% of the surveyed population expressed 41 . From our analysis, majority of society want the disclosure of health risks to be incorporated into business norms probably because they feel that tattoo artists are the masters of their trade and given their experience, can best advise customers, hence there is a general perception that it is unethical for firms to keep silent. Overall analysis The number of infected customers locally has been small, leading firms to believe that current aftercare advice is sufficient. However, with potentially adverse effects to tattooing, P and S generally opt for this knowledge to be communicated to them, creating a performanceexpectations gap. Lacking consensus within and between O, P and S leaves the question of ethicality unsolved. However, from our perspective, the dangers are real, and negligence breeds harm, hence current business practices are unethical, and improvements need to be made. Yet, the fear of scaring customers away is undeniable, making closure of the performanceexpectations gap more complicated than just getting firms to reveal the health risks to potential clients. Recommendations A key area of concern i...
View Full Document

Ask a homework question - tutors are online