bgs final report_tattoo industry (2007)

In november 2007 the new paper published yet another

Info iconThis preview shows page 1. Sign up to view the full content.

View Full Document Right Arrow Icon
This is the end of the preview. Sign up to access the rest of the document.

Unformatted text preview: anagements link them to secret societies and perceive them to be less trustworthy 9 . In November 2007, The New Paper published yet another article, “Ban tattoos on kids?” that stressed the detrimental effects of tattoos on youths who get them at a young age. These effects include high removal costs and stereotyping by society10. Evidently, due concern must be placed with regards to the lack of an age ban, as impacting social consequences await unperceiving young minds. Although one may argue that these ‘permanent’ artworks may be removed with sufficient expertise, one must not neglect that tattoo removal has yet to reach a stage at which there will be completely no surgical scars. Thus, obtaining a tattoo can be deemed a permanent decision. Following such concerns is the conundrum: Should an age limit be imposed for tattooing, since youths seem incapable of making such decisions themselves? And if so, what age? Ethical Analysis Organisational aspect All three firms claim to enforce an age limit of 18 on patrons, suggesting they agree that it is unethical to lack a minimum requirement. Yet, we found that Sacred Needles and Acid Crue make exceptions when patrons under 18 possess parental consent. Shane from Acid Crue justifies this as an ethical business practice because despite the requirement being lowered, there are conditions imposed 11 . Hence, at the organizational http://www.moh.gov.sg/mohcorp/mediaforums.aspx?id=46 20 9 Narayanan, S. (2004, March 2). Yes, I’ve got a tattoo, but please don’t tell my boss. The Electric New Paper. Retrieved from http://newpaper.asia1.com.sg/printfriendly/0,4139,53122,00 .html 10 Jiang, G., & Mathavan, S. A. (2007, November 12). Ban Tattoos on Kids? The New Paper, pp. 4, 5. 11 Refer to Annex A level, firms believe that their current practices are ethical and meet customer needs. Personal aspect Such consensus was not found in the personal perspective. Dr Tan, parent and ethics professor, feels that there should be an age limit of 21, reasoning that it is the legally perceived age of adulthood. In his opinion, entertaining tattoo requests from anybody below 21 inclines the firms towards being unethical, as lack of maturity may prevent youths from foreseeing the permanence and social prejudice of tattooing 12 . Tattoo enthusiast Clarence agrees that an age limit is necessary, but feels that youth are mature enough to make their own decisions by 18 13 . More contrastingly, regretful enthusiast Johnny perceives it ethical for firms not to impose any age limit, as it defeats the purpose of the business14. Hence, at a personal level, there is no common stance whether it is unethical that no age limit be imposed and less so, the specific age. Societal aspect This lack of common stance was also evident in the societal aspect: 70% of those surveyed were in favour of an age limit being set15, of which 48% deemed 18 years of age to be suitable, while the remaining 52% were divided over the ages of 16, 19 and 20 16 . Further scrutiny of our profiled survey results shows that the older age groups preferred an older age limit17, suggesting that workingworld experiences and understanding of so...
View Full Document

This document was uploaded on 01/14/2014.

Ask a homework question - tutors are online