This preview shows page 1. Sign up to view the full content.
Unformatted text preview: e of electrons by diffusion. An arbitrary electron concentration gradient in one dimension (a) division of n(x) into segments of length equal to a mean free path for the electrons;
(b) expanded view of two of the segments centered at x0. Diffusion of Carriers
• Diffusion Currents
– Usually we think of charge flow (current) as a result
of an applied external field
– Current can also flow as a result of a gradient in
• This is known as a diffusion current
• Expressed in terms of the carrier concentration gradient • Diffusion and Drift Currents
– Applicable when there is an external f...
View Full Document
This note was uploaded on 04/02/2014 for the course EECS 321 taught by Professor Zorman during the Spring '10 term at Case Western.
- Spring '10