This preview shows page 1. Sign up to view the full content.
Unformatted text preview: ow, so minority carriers don’t influence
the drift component.
• Diffusion current, however, is proportional to the
concentration gradient, not the concentration.
• In some cases, the minority carrier diffusion current can
be as large as the majority carrier diffusion current
be Diffusion of Carriers
• Fields have a spatial dependence (i.e., E(x))
• Electron movement in an electric field
– Electrons drift in a direction opposite to the field
– With respect to energy, the potential energy of the
electron necessarily decreases as the drift distance
– Since the conduction band/valence band construct
really represents potential energy, this construct can
be drawn with respect to the applied field
– In the direction of E(x), potential energy increases Energy band diagram of a semiconductor in an electric field E(x)...
View Full Document
This note was uploaded on 04/02/2014 for the course EECS 321 taught by Professor Zorman during the Spring '10 term at Case Western.
- Spring '10