This preview shows page 1. Sign up to view the full content.
Unformatted text preview: GINE - The air is
transported to the engine cylinder , at atmospheric pressure
TURBO ENGINE - TURBO CHARGED ENGINE - The air is
compressed and transported to engine cylinder, at higher than
COMPONENTS OF THE INTAKE SYSTEM
• AIR FILTER
• TURBO CHARGER
• AIR FILTER CLOGGING INDICATOR
• HOSES INTAKE SYSTEM CLOGGING INDICATOR AIR FILTER ENGINE
EXHAUST NATURALLY ASPIRATED ENGINE
• MDI 3200
• XDP 490
• XD 3P INTAKE SYSTEM CLOGGING INDICATOR AIR AT ATMOSPHERIC
PRESSURE AIR FILTER HOT COMPRESSED AIR
COOL COMPRESSED AIR ENGINE INTERCOOLER EXHAUST TURBO CHARGED/INTERCOOLED ENGINE
• SZ 2600 TURBOCHARGER INTAKE SYSTEM
1. AIR FILTER - The purpose of the air filter is to clean the atmospheric air
of dirt & dust before entering the engine cylinder. Air filters needs to
cleaned regularly and replaced at recommended intervals.
2. CLOGGING INDICATOR - Clogging indicator indicates the condition of
the air filter as to whether is clean or choked.
A visible RED band in the indicator indicates choked air filter INTAKE SYSTEM
3. TURBOCHARGER - The turbo charger utilizes the wasted heat energy
in the exhaust system, to run a compressor which compresses the intake
air. Compressed intake air has more density and hence more fuel can be
injected increasing the power of the engine.
Turbo charging is an ideal way to increase the engine power without
increasing the engine size.
For trouble free performance of turbocharger a clean air filter element is a
A turbo charger spins at very high speed (~ 1.6 Lakh RPM). The turbo
charger is lubricated by engine oil. If the engine is switched off abruptly ,
the oil supply to turbo bearing stops instantly. Since the turbine is
running at very high speeds, it takes some time to wind down. During this
time the turbine bearing can be starved off oil.
Hence it is recommended to idle the engine for some time before shutting
off the engine. INTAKE SYSTEM
4. INTERCOOLER - When the atmospheric air is compressed by the
compressor in the turbocharger, the temperature of the air increases. The
temperature of the air needs to be reduced before it enters the engine
cylinder. The hot compressed air is passed through a intercooler to
reduce the temperature.
Intercooler is a heat exchanger where the hot compressed air flows on
the inside and cool atmospheric air flows on the outside leading to
cooling of the compressed air
AIR HOT COMPRESSED AIR INTERCOOLER COOL COMPRESSED AIR SYSTEMS IN AN AUTOMOBILE
A. POWER TRAIN SYSTEM
• POWER PLANT (POWER GENERATION - ENGINE)
• FUEL SYSTEM
• INTAKE SYSTEM
• EXHAUST SYSTEM
• COOLING SYSTEM
• DRIVE LINE (POWER TRANSMISSION )
• GEAR BOX/TRANSMISSION
• TRANSFER CASE
• WHEELS/TYRES B. RUNNING SYSTEM
• BRAKING C. COMFORT SYSTEM
• HVAC/AC/HEATER SYSTEM
• AUDIO/VIDEO/GPS ENGINE SUPPORT SYSTEMS
EXHAUST SYSTEM TRANSPORTS THE BURNED EXHAUST
GASES FROM ENGINE C...
View Full Document
This document was uploaded on 03/30/2014.
- Spring '14