This preview shows page 1. Sign up to view the full content.
Unformatted text preview: glucose, total?
– per palmitoyl (16 carbon side-chain fatty acid), under
36 NADH/FADH to ATP
• 2.5 ATP per NADH produced in the matrix
– costs energy to export that ATP • 1.5 ATP per NADH produced in the cytoplasm
– costs energy to import & export • 1.5 ATP per FADH2
– FADH2 gives its electrons lower in the ETC, lower
– TOTAL YIELD of ATP per glucose =30ATP 37 Table 14-1 Molecular Biology of the Cell (© Garland Science 2008) Figure 14-17 Molecular Biology of the Cell (© Garland Science 2008) !!!Also study the summary in
Figure 14-8, below the ﬁgure... Figure 14-10 Molecular Biology of the Cell (© Garland Science 2008) Other functions for the Respiratory
Longevity and metabolism "For ----'s sake men—come on! Do you want to live forever?"
- Sergeant Major Daniel Joseph "Dan" Daly
(November 11, 1873 – April 27, 1937) 41 • The science of longevity CLK-1 is involved in
biosynthesis of ubiquinone
The National (US) institute of ageing http://www.nia.nih.gov/ 42 Thomas’ Research program:
biological functions for RNAi in worms & human
Normal unc-22 (RNAi)
-Fibronectin type III- C. elegans research led to ground-breaking discoveries
including programmed cell death, development cell fate maps,
metabolism regulation & ageing, numerous signaling cascades,
& RNAi & microRNAs Revision/questions 44...
View Full Document
- Winter '11
- molecular biology