The Contemporary World
This course introduces students to the contemporary world by examining the
multifaceted phenomenon of globalization. Using the various disciplines of the
social sciences, it examines the economic, social, political, technological, and other
transformations that have created an increasing awareness of the
interconnectedness of people and places around the globe. To this end, the course
provides an overview of the various debates in global governance, development,
and sustainability. Beyond exposing the student to the world outside the
Philippines, it seeks to inculcate a sense of global citizenship and global ethical
This course includes mandatory topics on population education in the context of
population and demography.
1. Distinguish different interpretations of and approaches to globalization.
2. Describe the emergence of global economic, political, social, and cultural
3. Analyze the various contemporary drivers of globalization.
4. Understand the various contemporary drivers of globalization.
5. Asses the effects of globalization on different social units and their responses.
6. Analyze contemporary news events in the context of globalization.
7. Analyze global issues in relation to Filipinos and the Philippines.
8. Articulate personal positions on various global issues.
9. Identify the ethical implications of global citizenship.
Sense of Pride and Patriotism
Sense of Accuracy
Sense of Trustworthiness
THE CONTEMPORARY WORLD