This preview shows page 1. Sign up to view the full content.
Unformatted text preview: ress Promotes
growth 11 4/21/13
don't care about the last 4 Hypothalamus?
• What stimulates the hypothalamus to
release its hormones? Components of Homeostatic
– Provide information about specific conditions • Control Center
– Evaluates the information from receptors
– Set point • Effectors
– Respond to restore the deviation from the set
values of the internal environment 12 4/21/13 Hypothalamic-Pituitary-Adrenal Axis
adrenal medulla Anterior pituitary
Adrenal cortex secretes cortisol Cortisol regulates stress Increases plasma
concentration of glucose,
fatty acids, and amino acids Function of Cortisol
• Increases the fuel availability to the
• Lypolytic hormone
• Anti-inflammatory effects
• Affects memory function 13...
View Full Document
This note was uploaded on 04/02/2014 for the course CHEM 14BL taught by Professor Pang during the Summer '07 term at UCLA.
- Summer '07