Unformatted text preview: fidus factor
Vitamin B12-binding protein
• Lipoprotein lipase
• Leukocyte enzymes Taste of Human Milk
Taste of Human Milk
• Flavor of foods in mother’s diet influences taste of breast milk
• Exposure to a variety of flavors may contribute to infant’s interest & acceptance of new flavors in solid foods Benefits of Breastfeeding
Benefits of Breastfeeding
• Hormonal benefits
– Oxytocin • Physical benefits – Delay in monthly ovulation • Psychosocial benefits
• Increased energy needs may promote weight loss Outcomes for Breastfed Infants
• Lower infant mortality in
Fewer acute illnesses
– • GI infections
Coughing and wheezing
Vomiting Reduction in chronic illness
Inflammatory bowel disease
Allergies and asthma • Child overweight
– Inconclusive evidence • Cognitive benefits
– Directly related to duration
– Important for SGA infants • Socioeconomic
– Fewer sick care visits
– Fewer maternal
absenteeism from work Breast Milk Supply Breast Milk Supply and Demand
• Can women make enough milk?
• Does the size of the breast limit a woman’s ability to nurse?
• Is feeding frequency related to the amount of milk a woman makes?
• Pumping or expressing milk
• Can women breastfeed after breast reduction/augmentation?
• Does silicone from breast implants leach into the milk? Milk Production:
Supply and Demand
• Typical production
– 600 ml in 1st month postpartum
– 750-800 ml/d by 4-5 months postpartum
– 450-1200 ml/d by 6 months
Increased production to meet needs of twins and triplets
Production meets demand!
– Increases or decreases as infant needs The Breastfeeding Infant
The Breastfeeding Infant
• Optimal duration of breastfeeding
– AAP 1 year or longer
U.S. Surgeon General exclusively for 6 months & best to breastfeed for 12 months Breastfeeding: Breastfeeding: Infant Reflexes
• Gag reflex—prevents infant from taking things into lungs
• Oral search reflex—infant opens mouth wide when close to breast & thrusts tongue forward
• Rooting reflex—infant turns to side when stimulated on that side The Breastfeeding Infant
The Breastfeeding Infant • Breastfeeding positioning Positions for breastfeeding proper positioning of infant is important...
View Full Document
This document was uploaded on 04/04/2014.
- Spring '14