This preview shows page 1. Sign up to view the full content.
Unformatted text preview: competitors
Research and product innovation Would multinationals prefer WTO or bilateral / regional FTAs? – why?
• Emphasize benefits of trade
• Increased openness to
competition post-Doha round 3/9/2014 Page: 27 • Fewer labor and
• Advantages of larger and
richer nations GUY SHANI , 2014 - STRATEGY 310 - THE WORLD ECONOMY - SESSION 10 3. WTO, regional, business and trade agreements
International location of firms
Allows exploitation of
competitive advantages E.g., retail chains and
supermarkets in the
Mercosur block 3/9/2014 Page: 28 E.g., value chain of
Volkswagen in EU Allows scale economies
and consolidation of
facilities GUY SHANI , 2014 - STRATEGY 310 - THE WORLD ECONOMY - SESSION 10 14 Takeaways
• The promotion of international trade
• Overcoming special interest groups
• WTO’s role • Rules of the WTO and how firms can use them
• Other trade promotion agreements
• Bilateral, regional and preferential trade agreements
• Problems associated with these types of agreements 3/9/2014 Page: 29 GUY SHANI , 2014 - STRATEGY 310 - THE WORLD ECONOMY - SESSION 10 30 GUY SHANI , 2014 - STRATEGY 310 - THE WORLD ECONOMY - SESSION 10 End 3/9/2014 15...
View Full Document
This note was uploaded on 04/02/2014 for the course STRATEGY 310 taught by Professor Staff during the Winter '08 term at University of Michigan.
- Winter '08
- A Christmas Carol