This preview shows page 1. Sign up to view the full content.
Unformatted text preview: nside nephron Campbell Figures 44.15-16 Ascending Loop of Henle: retains water, loses salt
[active transport, thickened walls of
(units in mOsm/L) In epithelial cell
- few aquaporin-1
- high density of
- Na+/Cl- cotransp.
- only salt moves
out of filtrate even
as extracellular solute
conc. falls towards
- REDUCE SALT
CONC. OF LOW
The greater the mOsm/L value, the more salt/urea concentrated the fluid:
- in extracellular fluid when indicated outside nephron
- in filtrate when indicated inside nephron Campbell Figures 44.15-16 Distal tubule: ADH-regulated water loss, loses salt
1. Filtrate entering the distal tubule is low salt conc. (~100
mOsm/L) and low volume (extr.cell fluid, 300mOsm/L)
2. High density of Na+/K+ pumps and Na+/Clcotransporters in epithelial cells: further active
transport of salt out of filtrate
3. If dehydrated/lose blood (low blood volume/p...
View Full Document
- Spring '08
- Amino Acids