{[ promptMessage ]}

Bookmark it

{[ promptMessage ]}

liquid metallic h diamond bodes law distances of the

Info icon This preview shows page 1. Sign up to view the full content.

View Full Document Right Arrow Icon
This is the end of the preview. Sign up to access the rest of the document.

Unformatted text preview: tially solar in composition (H, He) • May have condensed liquid or solid cores (?) • Liquid metallic H? Diamond? • Bode’s Law • Distances of the planets from the Sun obey a simple arithmetic relation a = 0.4 + 0.3(2n-2) where n = 2, 3, 4… • Where a = distance in Astronomical Units (AU) - mean distance from Sun to Earth (93 million miles, 1.5 x 108 km) • Likely a result of orbital resonance effects Planet Formation (cont’d) ! Mass Distribution • • 99.87% of solar system mass is in Sun 0.13% is all the rest of the solar system combined, most of which is Jupiter • • 71% of planetary mass is in Jupiter Most of the remaining 29% is in Saturn, Uranus, Neptune • 0.44% of planetary mass is in the terrestrial planets • 50.3% in Earth • 40.9% in Venus • 5.4% in Mars • 2.8% in Mercury Formation of Planetary Materials ! Required first the condensation of rocky material in the solar nebula • Nickel-Iron • Likely the first to condense in nebula • Minerals kamacite and taenite • Highest temperature of condensation (~1400 K) • Silicates, Other Minerals • Early condensation of metallic silicon (Si) • Condensed in nebula at 1300 - 1000 K • Higest temperature condensates included perovskite (CaTiO3) • Common mineral condensates were enstatite (MgSiO3), feldspars • Solid-solid reactions • At slightly lower temperatures (700 - 500 K), solids reacted to form alteration products • Troilite (FeS) from reaction of sulfur with kamacite/taenite • Olivine from reaction of enstatite with kamacite/taenite • FeO (wustite) from reaction of oxygen with kamacite/taenite...
View Full Document

{[ snackBarMessage ]}

What students are saying

  • Left Quote Icon

    As a current student on this bumpy collegiate pathway, I stumbled upon Course Hero, where I can find study resources for nearly all my courses, get online help from tutors 24/7, and even share my old projects, papers, and lecture notes with other students.

    Student Picture

    Kiran Temple University Fox School of Business ‘17, Course Hero Intern

  • Left Quote Icon

    I cannot even describe how much Course Hero helped me this summer. It’s truly become something I can always rely on and help me. In the end, I was not only able to survive summer classes, but I was able to thrive thanks to Course Hero.

    Student Picture

    Dana University of Pennsylvania ‘17, Course Hero Intern

  • Left Quote Icon

    The ability to access any university’s resources through Course Hero proved invaluable in my case. I was behind on Tulane coursework and actually used UCLA’s materials to help me move forward and get everything together on time.

    Student Picture

    Jill Tulane University ‘16, Course Hero Intern