This preview shows page 1. Sign up to view the full content.
Unformatted text preview: ce, versatility, power of remembering, and lack of intelligence and
4. The earliest device that qualifies as a digital computer is the "abacus" which was
invented around 600 B.C. 5. Charles Babbage is considered to be the father of modern digital computers.
6. Some of the well known early computers are the MARK I (1937-44), the
ATANASOFF-BERRY (1939-42), the ENIAC (1943-46), the ED VAC (1946-52), the
EDS AC (1947-49), the MANCHESTER MARK I (1948), and the UNIVACI (1951).
Dr. John Von Neumann introduced the "stored program" concept, which
considerably influenced the development of modern digital computers. Because of this
feature, we often refer to modern digital computers as stored program digital computers.
8. "Generation" in computer talk is a step in technology. It provides a framework for
the growth of the computer industry. Originally it was used to distinguish between
various hardware technologies, but now it has been extended to include both the
hardware and the software.
9. Till today, there are totally five computer generations, namely first, second, third,
fourth and fifth generation.
10. The key hardware and software technologies and the key characteristics of the
computers of the five different generations are summarized in Figure 1.3.
What is a computer? Why is it also known as a data processor?
What is data processing? What are its basic activities?
Differentiate between data and information. Which is more useful to the people and
List out and explain some of the important characteristics of a computer.
What is meant by garbage-in-garbage-out?
Computers are automatic machines. Discuss.
Errors can occur in a computer, but these, are mainly due to human rather than
technological weaknesses. Discuss.
Unlike human beings, a computer is free from monotony, tiredness, and lack of
Versatility is one of the most wonderful things about the computer. Discuss....
View Full Document
- Spring '14