This preview shows page 1. Sign up to view the full content.
Unformatted text preview: s data processing? How do we decide to use a particular
file organization for an application?
What is a sequential file? What is the principal storage medium used for
storing sequential files? Give examples of few applications that will benefit from
the use of sequential files.
What is activity ratio in file processing? What type of file organization is
suitable for (a) an application that has high activity ratio, (b) an application that
has low activity ratio? Give an example of each type c application.
How is a sequential file organized? How are records in a sequential file
accessed? How are these record processed?
21. What is a direct file? What is the principal storage medium used for storing
direct files? Give examples of few applications that will benefit from the use of
22. How is a record stored in a direct file? How is it retrieved and processed? 23.
Explain how are the records in a direct file physically organized so that it
becomes possible to directly access a particular record, given its key field value.
What is hashing? How is it useful in direct file organization? What is a
collision? How can it be taken can care of?
If the activity ratio is high, the use of direct files proves to be very
inefficient as compared to sequential files. Explain why.
Explain the basic principle used in indexed sequential file organization.
Explain the roles of data file and index file in indexed sequential file organization.
27. How are records stored in an indexed sequential file? How are they retrieved
Explain how can indexed sequential files be used quite efficiently for both
sequential and direct access processing.
29. Discuss the advantages and limitations of the sequential, direct, and indexed
sequential file organizations.
30. What are file utilities?
31. Differentiate between the process of sorting and merging of files.
32. Explain the use of the following file utilities: copying, searching, printing,
View Full Document
This document was uploaded on 04/07/2014.
- Spring '14