This preview shows page 1. Sign up to view the full content.
Unformatted text preview: ata communication system?
Differentiate between narrowband, voiceband, and broadband
communication channels. Give a practical application of each.
What is a wire pair? In what situations are they suitable for use in data
10. What is a coaxial cable? Give some of its practical uses.
11. Explain how microwave systems can be used for communication between
two distant stations.
12. How are communications satellites used? What are the possible advantages
and limitations of using a communications satellite?
13. What is an optical fiber? How is it used for data communications? What are
14. Differentiate between analog and digital transmission of data. Give their
relative advantages and disadvantages.
15. What do you understand by modulation and demodulation?
16. Why is modulation used in signal transmission? Describe the three different
forms of modulation used in signal transmission.
What are modems? What purpose do they serve in data communication
Describe some of the common factors to be considered while selecting a
19. Explain the use of "fall back" feature in the design of modems.
Differentiate between internal and external modems. Give their relative
advantages and disadvantages.
21. What is a FAX modem? How is it more useful than a conventional modem?
22. Describe the error correction and data compression features found in some
What is an intelligent modem? List out some of the features found in
24. What is a repeater?
25. When are public telephone lines used to connect a terminal to a computer?
Are modems required for this purpose? Why?
Explain about the following types of services offered by the common
(a) Dial-up line
(c) Integrated Services Digital Network (ISDN)
(b) Leased line
(d) Value Added Network (VAN)
27. What is ISDN? Differentiate between narrow-band and broad-band ISDN.
28. What is a Value Added Network (VAN)?
29. What is a multiplexer? Exp...
View Full Document
This document was uploaded on 04/07/2014.
- Spring '14