This preview shows page 1. Sign up to view the full content.
Unformatted text preview: ioning is normally required for the notebook
computers, desktop PCs, and workstations.
5. They consume much less power than their predecessors.
6. They are much more reliable and less prone to hardware failures than their
predecessors. Hence the maintenance cost is negligible.
7. Many of the large-scale systems of fifth generation have hot-pluggable feature so
that a failed component can be replaced with a new one without the need to shutdown the
system, allowing the uptime of the system to be very high.
They have faster and larger primary memory and secondary storage devices as
compared to their predecessors.
9. They are totally general-purpose machines.
10. Their manufacturing does not require manual assembly of individual components
into electronic circuits, resulting in reduced human labor and cost involved at assembly
stage. Hence commercial production of these systems is easier and cheaper. However,
highly sophisticated technology and expensive setup (affordable only by a few
organizations in the world) is required for the manufacture of ULSI chips.
11. Use of standard high-level programming languages and parallel programming
libraries allows programs written for one computer to be easily ported to and executed on
12. More user-friendly interfaces with multimedia features make the systems easier to
learn and use by anyone including small children.
13. Newer and more powerful applications, including multimedia applications, make the
systems more useful in every walk of life. 14. More powerful supercomputers have allowed solving of many new types of complex
problems, which were not possible to be solved before.
15. The explosion in the size of the Internet coupled with Internet-based tools and
applications have made these systems influence the life of even common men and
16. The new operating systems concepts used in building these systems have further
enhanced the performance and user-friendliness of these systems as compared to their
17. These systems also use the concept of unbundled software and add-on hardware,
allowing the use...
View Full Document
- Spring '14