This preview shows page 1. Sign up to view the full content.
Unformatted text preview: e.
33. What is a database management system?
34. Give examples of how a company and an individual might use a DBMS.
35. What is a database model? Name the four commonly used database models.
Describe any two of these models.
36. Write short notes on:
(a) Hierarchical database model
(c) Relational database model
(b) Network database model
(d) Object-oriented database model
37. Explain the relational database model with the help of an example. List out
the main advantages of the relational database model as compared to the
hierarchical and network database models.
The collection of records in a database may have different sets of fields.
Discuss this statement. Give an example to illustrate this.
39. If new type of data is to be added to an existing relational database, it is not
necessary to redesign the database afresh. Discuss this statement. Give an example
to illustrate this.
40. List out some of the key features found in the object-oriented database model
that are absent in conventional database models.
Why is the object-oriented database model preferred for database
applications such as CAD, CAM, CAE, CASE, expert systems and multimedia
42. Explain the object-oriented database model with the help of an example.
What are the four major components of a database management system
(DBMS)? Describe the roles of each of these components in the overall design
and usage of a database. 44.
What is a data definition language (DDL)? What is its role in the overall
design and/or usage of a database?
What is a data manipulation language (DML)? What is its role in the
overall design and/or usage of a database?
46. What is a query language? What is its role in the overall design and/or usage
of a database?
What is the difference between the data manipulation language and the
query language with respect to what each enables the user to do?
What is a report generator? What is its role in the overall design and/or
usage of a database?
49. A report generator can be instructed to perform arithmetic operations on the
data found in num...
View Full Document
This document was uploaded on 04/07/2014.
- Spring '14