This preview shows page 1. Sign up to view the full content.
Unformatted text preview: e of a computer must work together for the computer to
produce useful output. Nothing useful can be done with the computer hardware on its
own and software cannot be utilized without supporting hardware.
Most software can be divided into two major categories - system software and
application software. System software is a set of one or more programs designed to
control the operation and extend the processing capability of a computer system.
Application software is a set of one or more programs designed to solve a specific
problem or do a specific task.
6. A few examples of system software are operating systems, programming language
translators, utility programs, performance monitoring software, and communications
7. A few examples of application software are word-processing software, spreadsheet
software, database software, graphics software, personal assistance software, education
software, and entertainment software.
8. Figure 10.1 shows the relationship among the hardware, system software, application
software, and users of a computer system.
9. A user can acquire a desired software in or more of the following ways:
• By buying pre-written software
• By ordering customized software
• By developing customized software
• By downloading public-domain software
Each of these ways of acquiring software has its own advantages and limitations.
10. Developing a software and putting it to use is a complex process and involves the
• Analyzing the problem at hand and planning the program(s) to solve the problem.
• Coding the program(s). • Testing, debugging and documenting the program(s).
• Implementing the program(s).
• Evaluating and maintaining the program(s).
11. Software engineering is that branch of engineering that deals with the systematic
application of the principles of computer science and mathematics in creating and
building cost-effective software solutions.
12. Firmware is software substituted for hardware and stored in read-only memory.
Define the terms hardware and s...
View Full Document
- Spring '14