This preview shows page 1. Sign up to view the full content.
Unformatted text preview: es would be very
difficult and costly to accomplish.
Points to Remember
1. Testing is the process of making sure that the program performs the intended
2. Program errors are known as bugs, and the process of detecting and correcting
these errors is called debugging.
3. There are two types of errors that occur in a computer program - syntax errors
and logic errors. Syntax errors result when the rules or syntax of the programming language are not followed. Logic errors are errors in planning the program's
logic. Such errors cause the program to produce incorrect output.
4. As compared to logic errors, it is relatively easier to detect and correct syntax
errors because the language processors print error messages on the source listing
of a program that indicate each program statement with errors and give hints as to
the nature of the error.
The commonly used methods for locating and correcting logic errors are
doing hand simulation of the program code, putting print statements in the
program code, using a debugger, and using memory dump.
6. A commercial software is first released to a selected set of users. This release
version of the software is known as beta version. The use of beta version of the
software by the selected set of users for identifying errors that might have been
overlooked during the regular testing phase is known as beta testing.
7. A debugger is a software tool that assists the programmer in following the
program's execution step-by-step by allowing him/her to display intermediate
calculation results and field values whenever desired.
8. When a program hangs up during a test run, a printout of the contents of main
memory and registers is taken to analyze the cause of the problem. This printout is
called a memory dump or storage dump.
9. Documentation is the process of collecting, organizing, storing, and otherwise
maintaining a complete historical record of programs and other documents used or
prepared during the different phases of the lif...
View Full Document
This document was uploaded on 04/07/2014.
- Spring '14