This preview shows page 1. Sign up to view the full content.
Unformatted text preview: electronic circuits, resulting m reduced human labor and cost involved at assembly stage.
Hence commercial production of these systems was easier and cheaper. However, highly
sophisticated technology and expensive setup was required for the manufacture of LSI
and VLSI chips.
9. Use of standard high-level programming languages allowed programs written for one
computer to be easily ported to and executed on another computer.
10. Graphical user interface (GUI) enabled new computer users to learn how to use
computers very quickly.
11. PC-based applications made the PCs a powerful tool for both office and home usage.
12. Multiprocessing coupled with concurrent programming languages allowed many new
types of complex problems to be solved on the large-scale computers within reasonable
13. Network of computers enabled sharing of resources like disks, printers, etc. among
multiple computers and their users. They also enabled several new types of applications
involving interaction among computer users at geographically distant locations.
Computer Supported Cooperative Working (CSCW), or groupware is one such
application in which multiple members working on a single project and located at distant
locations cooperate with each other using a network of computers.
14. Availability of C programming language allowed these systems to be effectively
used for systems programming also like design of compilers and operating systems.
15. Object-oriented languages allowed development of reusable software modules,
which helped in rapid software development.
16. In addition to unbundled software, these systems also used unbundled or add-on
hardware feature which allowed users to invest only in the hardware configuration and
software of their need and value.
17. The PCs of the fourth-generation made computers affordable even by individuals for
their personal use at home. Fifth Generation (1989-Present)
The trend of further miniaturization of electronic components, the dramatic increase in
the power of microprocessor...
View Full Document
This document was uploaded on 04/07/2014.
- Spring '14