This preview shows page 1. Sign up to view the full content.
Unformatted text preview: 00 tracks, 16
sectors per track and 512 bytes per sector?
38. List out the relative advantages and disadvantages of sector-based and cluster-based
39. The sector size of a disk should not be too large or too small. Explain why.
40. What is a disk pack? Explain how data are organized and accessed from a disk pack.
41. What is a cylinder? A disk pack has 16 surfaces and 200 tracks on each surface. How
many cylinders are there in this disk pack?
42. Explain how cylinder-based organization leads to faster access of data in a disk pack.
43. What factors determine the storage capacity of disks? 44. A disk pack consists of 6 disk plates. Each plate has 400 tracks and there are 50
sectors per track. If 512 bytes can be stored per sector, then calculate the total number of
bytes that can be stored in this pack.
45. Disks having larger diameter can have more tracks and larger storage capacity. In
spite of this fact, why are disks with very large diameters not used for designing large
capacity magnetic disk storage systems?
46. Describe the structure of the two commonly used types of access arms assembly in
disk systems. List their relative advantages and disadvantages.
What is a head crash in case of a disk system? How does it affect a computer
48. Define the following terms in context of a disk storage:
(a) Access time
(b) Seek time
(d) Transfer rate
For every read/write access to a disk, is seek time constant or variable? If it is
constant, what is its value? If it is variable, what are its minimum and maximum values?
50. For every read/write access to a disk, is the value of latency constant or variable? If
it is constant, what is its value? If it is variable, what are its maximum and minimum
51. Explain how do disk systems with multiple read/write heads per surface help in
reducing seek time as compared to those with single read/write head per surface.
52. What is transfer rate of a disk system? What are the two main parameters on which
53. The rotational speed...
View Full Document
- Spring '14