This preview shows page 1. Sign up to view the full content.
Unformatted text preview: ion? Give some of its typical
applications. 123. What is a device controller? Explain with a diagram how is it used to connect I/O
devices to a computer.
124. Why are I/O devices connected to a computer system through device controllers
instead of connecting them directly to the system bus?
125. Differentiate between device controllers with DMA capability and without DMA
capability. Which of the two can transfer data faster from an I/O device to the computer's
memory and why?
126. What is an I/O port? Differentiate between serial and parallel ports.
127. What is a serial port? Why is-nt so called? Explain how data is transferred from
an I/O device to the computer's system bus when the device is connected to a serial port
of the system.
128. What is a parallel port? Why is it so called? Explain how data is transferred from
an I/O device to the computer's system bus when the device is connected to a parallel port
of the system.
129. What is a SCSI interface? Explain how it helps in expanding the capability of a
computer system in having more I/O devices connected to it.
130. Define the following terms:
(a) SCSI controller
(b) SCSI bus
(c) SCSI device
131. What is an expansion slot? Explain how a SCSI interface can help in saving
expansion slots in a computer system for connecting other devices.
132. What are the advantages of a SCSI controller over a conventional device controller?
133. Differentiate among dumb, smart and intelligent terminals.
134. What is an X terminal?
135. What is a terminal emulator? In what type of scenario is it required?
136. What is a privacy filter? How does it work?
137. What are ergonomically designed devices? Give a few examples of such devices.
138. List out five features of keyboards and monitors that make computer terminals easier
139. Write short notes on:
(c) Screen image projector
140. Write short notes on:
(a) Device controller
(b) I/O ports
(c) SCSI interface
(d) X terminal
(d) Voice response systems
(e) Voice reproduction system
(f) Speech synthesizer
(e) Privacy filter
(f) Ergonomically designed devices
View Full Document
This document was uploaded on 04/07/2014.
- Spring '14