This preview shows page 1. Sign up to view the full content.
Unformatted text preview: ading (decoding) bar-coded data.
12. Magnetic-ink character recognition (MICR) technology is used by the banking
industry for faster processing of the large volume of cheques. This technology also
ensures accuracy of data entry because most of the information is pre-printed on the
cheque and is directly fed to the computer.
13. A digitizer is an input device used for converting (digitizing) pictures, maps and
drawings into digital form for storage in computers. This enables re-creation of the
drawing from the stored information whenever required as well as easy incorporation of
changes in the drawing as and when required.
14. Electronic cards are small plastic cards having encoded data appropriate for the
application for which they are used. An electronic-card reader, which is normally
connected to a computer, is used to read the data encoded on an electronic card and
transfer it to the computer for further processing.
15. Depending on the manner in which data is encoded, electronic cards are of two types
- magnetic strip cards and smart cards. Magnetic strip cards store the data to be encoded
on a magnetic strip attached to the back oi the card. On the other hand, smart cards have a
built-in microprocessor chip and the data to be encoded or the card is permanently stored
in the memory of the microprocessor chip.
16. Voice recognition devices are input devices that allow a person to input data to a
computer system b) speaking to it. They are basically of two types - speaker-dependent
and speaker-independent. Speaker-dependent systems can recognize the speech of only
a single individual or a few individuals. On the other hand, speaker-independent systems
can recognize words spoken by anyone.
17. A vision-input system allows a computer to accept input just by seeing an object. The
input data in this case is normally an object's shape and features in the form of an image.
18. Online data entry involves input devices, which are connected directly to the
computer, whereas offline data entry involves...
View Full Document
This document was uploaded on 04/07/2014.
- Spring '14