This preview shows page 1. Sign up to view the full content.
Unformatted text preview: hen the number of Is in the input string is even. Design a combinational
logic circuit for such a parity generator.
28. Design a combinational logic circuit to generate an even parity for hexadecimal
digits. Chapter 7
Processor and Memory
We saw in Chapter 2 that the main components of a computer system are input, output,
storage, and CPU. We also saw that storage units are basically of two types - primary and
secondary. With this background knowledge, I we are now ready to learn more about the
internal structure and working of the various components of a computer system. This and
the next two chapters have been devoted to this learning. In this chapter we will learn
about the structure and working of the CPU (also known as processor) and the primary
storage (also known as main memory or simply memory). Subsequently, the structure
and working of secondary storage devices and [input/output devices will be presented in
Chapters 8 and 9 respectively.
This chapter introduces the basic concepts related to the processor and the main memory
of a computer system. In this chapter you will learn about:
1. How processors are internally structured?
2. How memory is structured?
3. How to determine the speed of a processor?
4. What are the different types of processors available?
5. How to determine the capacity of a memory?
6. What are the different types of memory available?
7. What are the main factors related to processor and memory that affect the processing
speed of a computer system?
8. And several other terms related to the processor
The basic processor and memory architecture of a computer system is shown in Figure
7.1. The details of the various components of this figure will be presented in this
register control Instruction
••• address register
register buffer Input/Output
View Full Document
This document was uploaded on 04/07/2014.
- Spring '14