This preview shows page 1. Sign up to view the full content.
Unformatted text preview: ve Electronics (IDE), Enhanced Small Device Interface (ESDI), Intelligent
Peripheral Interface-level 3 (IPI-3) and' Small Computer System Interface (SCSI).
27. Data backup is the process of creating a copy of the data from storage backup device
so that if by accident the data on the on-line it can be retrieved from the backup device
and stored back on the on-line storage device to a secondary storage device gets
corrupted or gets lost, line storage device.
28. The two basic types of backup are - full backup an incremental backup. In full
backup, all the data on the online secondary storage device is copied on the backup
device at the time of backup, whereas in incremental backup only the newly created files
or files that have been changed since the last backup are copied.
29. To make applications execute faster, in some computer systems a block of
semiconductor RAM chips (other than the RAM chips used for the main memory) is used
as a simulated disk. These RAM chips are often referred to as a RAM disk, or a silicon
disk, or a pseudo disk.
30. DVD (Digital Versitile Disk) is a standard format for the distribution and interchange
of digital content in both computer-based and consumer electronic products. The format
is designed to store various types of large multimedia data on a new and improved
version of the CD which works on optical disk technology.
31. As a single type of storage is not superior in speed of access, capacity and cost, most
computer systems make use of a hierarchy of storage technologies known as storage
hierarchy. A typical storage hierarchy pyramid includes cache memory, main memory,
secondary storage and mass storage. Questions
1. What is a secondary storage? How does it differ from a primary storage?
2. What are the main limitations of the primary storage of a computer system?
3. Why is secondary storage used in most computer systems?
4. Name some of the popular secondary storage devices used in today's computer
Give the broad classification of the popular secondary storage devices used in
today's computer systems.
6. What is a sequential-...
View Full Document
- Spring '14