This preview shows page 1. Sign up to view the full content.
Unformatted text preview: the blocking
factor too large?
22. In the context of magnetic tape storage, explain the role of the following:
(a) File header label
(d) End of tape marker
(b) File trailer label
(e) Beginning of tape marker
(c) Tape header label 23. What is a magnetic tape controller? List some of the commands that a magnetic
tape controller typical supports.
24. List out the main advantages of half-inch tape cartridges over half-inch tape reels.
25. List out the main differences in the way data are organized and accessed in case of
half-inch tape reels ai half-inch tape cartridges.
26. List out the main differences between half-inch tape and quarter-inch streamer tape.
Which of the two ma better utilization of tape storage and why?
27. What is the QIC standard? How is it useful?
28. Differentiate between serial and parallel representation of data recording on magnetic
tapes. Give one example of each to illustrate the two types of data recording.
29. Explain how a very high data recording density is obtained in case of digital audio
30. List out the main advantages of magnetic tapes as a secondary storage device.
31. List out the main limitations of magnetic tapes as a secondary storage device.
32. List out the main uses of magnetic tapes.
Write short notes on:
(a) Secondary storage
(b) Magnetic tape drive
(c) Magnetic tape reel
(d) Magnetic tape cartridge
(e) Streamer tape
(f) Digital audio tape
(g) Sequential-access storage device
(h) Direct-access storage device
(i) Uses of magnetic tapes
(j) Advantages and limitations of magnetic tapes
34. What is a magnetic disk? Explain how data are stored and organized on a magnetic
35. In the context of magnetic disk storage, define the following terms and give the
relationship among them (if any):
(e) Disk address
36. Describe the two commonly used methods of partitioning a disk surface into sectors
and list out their relative advantages and disadvantages.
37. What will be the storage capacity of a double-sided disk that has 4...
View Full Document
- Spring '14