This preview shows page 1. Sign up to view the full content.
Unformatted text preview: y
(e) Antivirus utility
(c) Data compression utility
i 12. What is a computer virus? How does a typical virus works? When a
computer system suffers from virus infection, how is it cured?
113. Name four popular operating systems. Describe the main features of any two
114. What was the main reason for the large popularity and availability of Unix
on a wide variety of systems?
115. Describe the structure of the Unix operating system.
116. Explain the concept of pipe in Unix. What is a pipeline?
117. Describe the structure of MS-DOS.
118. What is a BIOS? Where does it normally reside? Who usually supplies it?
119. What is meant by booting of a system? Explain how an MS-DOS system is
120. Differentiate between internal and external commands of MS-DOS.
121. What are some of the main reasons for the failure of MS-DOS?
122. List out some of the key features of Microsoft Windows.
123 List out some of the key features of Microsoft Windows NT.
124. List out some of the key features of Linux. Explain the development process
125. List out some of the key limitations of Linux.
126. Write short notes on the following:
(a) Objectives of an operating system
(b) Functions of an operating system
(c) Parameters for measuring system performance 127. Write short notes-on the fallowing:
(a) Batch processing
128. Write short notes on the following:
(a) Process control block
(b) Deadlock problem
(c) Motivations for using threads
(d) Tightly-coupled and loosely-coupled multiprocessing systems
(e) CPU bound and I/O bound jobs
129. Write short notes on the following:
(a) Uniprogramming memory model
(b) Multiprogramming memory model
(c) Memory fragmentation
(d) Paging mechanism
(e) Virtual memory
130. Write short notes on the following:
(a) File structures
(b) File access methods
(c) File naming
(d) File operations
131. Write short notes on the following:
(a) Directory contents
(b) Directory organiza...
View Full Document
This document was uploaded on 04/07/2014.
- Spring '14