This preview shows page 1. Sign up to view the full content.
Unformatted text preview: h yours? Or is it different? How?
– Select the 2 readings you are going to use in your essay Step 3 (cont.) the Compulsory articles
Use a minimum of TWO (2) references from this list
1. Abrahamson, E. (1996). Management fashion. Academy of
Management Review, 21, 1, 245-285.
2. Parker, L. D., & Ritson, P. (2005). Fads, stereotypes and
management gurus: Fayol and Follett today. Management Decision,
43, 10, 1335-57.
3. Kiechel, W. (2012). The management century. Harvard Business
Review*, 90, 11, 62-75. (* This is an exception)
4. Rodrigues, C. A. (2001). Fayol's 14 principles of management then
and now: A framework for managing today's organizations
effectively. Management Decision, 39, 10, 880-889. Step 4 – Using the library databases to find the
Use the SIRIUS search engine to find E-JOURNALS Step 5 – Reading to review/
You need to read things more
First reading – to find out what
the author is arguing
– Conclusion Step 6 – Decisions to be made
No Is the article
relevant? Is it on
the topic? Read another
No Does it support
position? Yes Yes Am I going to use
it? Does it persuade
me to change my
position? Yes Second reading Step 7 – Second reading (maybe third & fourth
reading as well)
• Read from the start of the article
• Looking for knowledge/ insight
– Why are they undertaking the study?
– Do they agree / disagree?
– What ‘evidence’ do they present?
HINT: for THIS essay you do not need to focus on the method or empirical
results sections Step 8 – finding additional sources
find and use 2 additional ACADEMIC sources that are
relevant from the following databases: ABI Inform;
Business Source Premier, Web of Science, to support
your analysis. (Course Outline pg 5)
Use SIRIUS ‘FIND RESOURCES’ search function to
access the required databases
Q: What are Academic References? Step 9 – repeat steps 5, 6 and 7 Step 10 – understand where marks will be
allocated (Course Outline page 5)
Development of a consistent, clear and well-supported
answer to the question
Overall quality of analysis, thinking in terms of the key
View Full Document
- Two '09