1 AS109 SAMPLE EXAM #2 I. Multiple choice 1. Relative to galaxies in the neighborhood of the Milky Way Galaxy, more distant galaxies A.are fainter, have smaller angular diameters, and are moving away from us faster. B.are older and have fewer very massive stars. C.have a higher abundance of the elements helium, carbon, and oxygen. D.are more massive because they contain more stars.
2. According to the time-energy inequality of quantum theory, over a very, very short interval of time,
3. The force that causes the radioactive beta decay is
4. According to the Standard Model of particle physics,
5. When an electron collides with its anti-particle counterpart – a positron – the two particles A.can absorb a gamma-ray (γ-ray). B.can annihilate each other and produce two gamma-rays (γ-rays). C.never interact, i.e., they will always simply pass by each other without any physical effect. D.can combine to form a neutron.
6. According to Einstein’s General Relativity,
7. Expansion of space was originally introduced by a theorist (Alexander Friedmann) to solve the problem of